Whether you are submitting your artwork to an online gallery, or promoting your work on social media, high-quality images are key to attracting attention to the value of your art and making a strong impression on potential buyers.
There are several reasons for the importance of good images for presenting your artwork online:
- High-quality images allow potential buyers to see the details and nuances of your artwork while poor quality images can make it difficult for viewers to fully appreciate the intricacies of your pieces, which may ultimately lead to fewer sales.
- High-quality images are crucial for creating a professional image for your art business. Using low-quality or poorly lit images can make you look amateurish and undermine the value of your work. On the other hand, professional-looking images will help to establish your credibility as an artist and encourage potential buyers to take you seriously.
- High-quality images are important for marketing and promoting your work online through channels like Facebook and Instagram as they are more likely to attract attention and entice people to learn more about your art.
Here are some best practices for capturing good images of your artwork for online presentation:
- Prepare the artwork: Take your artwork out of the frame and remove any matting before photographing it in order to prevent any shadows. Never photograph a picture under glass.
- Position the artwork: Place your artwork on an empty surface or on a cork board mounted on the wall for close up images. It is also a good idea to take pictures of your artwork placed in an interior, such as a living room or a bedroom to help potential buyers imagine how the artwork would look in place and correctly assess the dimensions of the piece.
- Use natural light: When photographing your art, try to use natural light as much as possible. This will help to bring out the colors and details of your artwork and create a more natural look. Avoid using flash, as it can wash out the colors and create harsh shadows.
- Use consistent lighting: When presenting a number of artwork online, try to use consistent lighting to create a cohesive look. This will make it easier for viewers to compare different pieces and see the details of your work.
- Use a tripod: A tripod will help to keep your camera steady and ensure that your images are sharp. This is especially important if you are shooting with low light.
- Use proper camera alignment: Hold the camera pointed straight at your artwork. The face of the camera should be parallel to the art — not tilted up, down or to either side. Otherwise the image will be at an angle. If you place your artwork on an easel, tilt the camera to match its tilt.
- Aim the Camera: Move the camera around until the artwork fills as much of the viewfinder as possible without cropping the image.
- Choose the right resolution: It is important to choose the right resolution for your images to ensure that they look good on different devices. High-resolution images will look crisp and clear on large screens, while lower resolution images may appear pixelated or blurry.
- Edit your images: After you have captured your images, there may be a need to edit them to enhance the colors, remove any distractions or crop the composition. While there are many software options available for photo editing, this service is provided free of charge by Ateliers Müz as part of its subscription plans.
- Pay attention to aspect ratio: When selecting images for your online portfolio or gallery, try to choose those with a more balanced aspect ratio, such as a square or a slightly wider rectangle. This will ensure that your images look visually appealing and professional when displayed alongside other artworks. You want to avoid images that are too narrow or elongated, as they may not look good when displayed alongside other images as thumbnails.
As a visual artist, having good images of your artwork is essential for showcasing and selling your artwork online. By following the best practices outlined above, you can ensure that your artwork is presented well and make a strong impression on potential buyers.
When you join Ateliers Müz, we will do our best to assist and guide you to prepare high-quality images of your artwork. Furthermore, we will tap our skills and experience to present your artwork in an attractive and customized gallery on our platform.
We appreciate any comments and suggestions you might have for enhancing the content of this article.